Chocolate Cake Recipe
For variations on this cake, see our vanilla and lemon cake recipes.
Everyday Food, May 2009
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes plus cooling
- Yield Serves 12
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Whipped Frosting (http://www.marthastewart.com/260911/whipped-frosting)
- Shaved dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch cake pans, tapping out excess flour. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
- Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, 32 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- Place one cake, bottom side up, on a cake stand. Tuck strips of parchment paper underneath. Using an offset-spatula or table knife, spread top with Whipped Frosting. Top with remaining cake; frost top, then sides. (Store unfrosted cakes at room temperature up to 1 day. Once frosted, serve within a few hours.)
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.