Pumpkin Pecan-Praline Pie
This recipe for pumpkin pecan-praline pie is courtesy of chef Paul Bergeron.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007
Yield Makes One 9-Inch Pie
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- Flaky Pie Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/258577/flaky-pie-dough)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Muscovado light or dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pound Pumpkin Puree (http://www.marthastewart.com/255666/pumpkin-puree)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pecan-Praline (http://www.marthastewart.com/256729/pecan-praline)
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Using a 1-inch tear-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 50 tear-shaped pieces of dough. Starting with the pointed end, roll each piece of dough three-quarters of the way toward the fat end of the tear, forming a curl. Transfer curls to a baking sheet; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out remaining dough into an 11-inch round. With a dry pastry brush, brush off any excess flour; fit dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate, pressing it into the edges. Trim to a 1-inch overhang all around. Fold under overhang so it extends slightly beyond the edge of the pie plate.
- Prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Line with parchment paper, leaving at least a 1-inch overhang. Top with a 9-inch metal pie tin. Bake for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Remove parchment paper and weights; let cool.
- Beat 1 egg in a small bowl. Brush the edge of the pie crust with egg. Starting with 1 dough curl, place the flat bottom on the egg-washed rim, with the curl perpendicular to the edge of the pie plate. Working in the same direction, continue placing curls next to one another until the rim of the pie shell is completely covered with curls. Transfer pie shell to refrigerator; let chill 1 hour. Brush curls with remaining beaten egg.
- In a large bowl, mix together both sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Add pumpkin puree and stir well to combine. Whisk in remaining 3 eggs and cream.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into prepared pie shell. Transfer to a 375 degree oven and bake until filling is just set, about 40 minutes. Let pie cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle pie with praline topping just before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.