Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Peeled garlic adds even more flavor to this mashed potatoes recipe. To make ahead (up to two hours), complete garlic mashed potatoes recipe, then top with a thin layer of milk. Cover; set aside in a warm place. Stir to combine when ready to serve garlic mashed potatoes.
Photography: Mikkel Vang
Everyday Food, 2004
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 8
- 8 medium russet potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 1 head peeled garlic cloves (about 15)
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
- Peel potatoes and quarter lengthwise; cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick. In a 5-quart saucepan, combine potatoes and garlic cloves; cover with water (about 8 cups) by 1 inch. Add 1 tablespoon salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain; return garlic and potatoes to pan. Stir over medium-high heat until dry, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil; pour over potatoes. Add butter and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mash until smooth and creamy.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.