Raymond's Spring Artichoke Salad
Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1999
- 1 large bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried fennel seeds, soaked in water until plump, and drained
- 1/2 pint red cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 pint yellow pear tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon aged or regular balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 medium artichokes, outer leaves removed, tops trimmed to 1 inch from heart, and stems peeled
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- Place fennel in a large bowl. Pour red-wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over it; stir to combine. Set aside to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- In a small saute pan over medium-high heat, toast fennel seeds until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add to fennel mixture. In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, red onion, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Using a teaspoon, remove the chokes of the trimmed artichokes. Rub the hearts with the lemon. Transfer to a medium bowl. Juice lemon halves over artichokes, and add water to cover. Using a very sharp knife or Japanese mandoline, slice artichoke hearts to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add artichokes, and saute, stirring constantly until just tender, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add cilantro, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium saute pan, heat remaining teaspoon olive oil over high heat. Add shrimp; season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Saute until pink and firm, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer marinated fennel to serving dish. Place artichokes on fennel. Add tomato salad to center. Top with shrimp, and garnish with olives.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.