Pastry Cream for Souffle
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1998/1999
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- Have ready an ice bath. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks with 2 tablespoons sugar and flour until light and pale; set aside.
- Place milk and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium saucepan. Scrape in vanilla seeds; add pod. Bring mixture to a boil. Pour approximately half of just-boiling mixture over reserved egg mixture; whisk to combine. Pour the milk-egg mixture back into the saucepan. Return to a boil, whisking constantly. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour pastry cream into a medium bowl, and remove vanilla pod. Set bowl over ice bath until chilled.
- Lay plastic wrap directly on surface of pastry cream, preventing a skin from forming. Refrigerate until ready to make souffle
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.