Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla French Buttercream
Butter Lane's chocolate cupcakes with vanilla French buttercream will appease all chocolate lovers.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- Vanilla French Buttercream (http://www.marthastewart.com/256262/vanilla-french-buttercream)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 40 standard muffin cups with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chocolate and beat on medium speed until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with 1 cup water and beginning and ending with flour; beat until just combined, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-quarters full with batter. Transfer to oven and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate muffin pans and continue baking until a cake tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 10 minutes more. Let cool completely before frosting.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.