Yield Makes about 1 gallon
- 5 pounds firm Kirby cucumbers, 3 to 5 inches long (about 20 cucumbers)
- 1 1/2 cups coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices, (available premixed in supermarkets)
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 6 1/4 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Wash cucumbers well. Place in a large nonreactive container. Combine 1/2 gallon water with 1 cup salt, and stir until salt is dissolved. Pour over cucumbers. Place a plate on cucumbers to keep them submerged in liquid. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and rinse cucumbers, discarding brine. Pack into four to five wide-mouthed quart jars. Distribute pickling spices, garlic, and dill evenly among the jars.
- Combine 6 1/4 cups water, the remaining 1/2 cup salt, the vinegar, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, and pour into packed jars. Cool on a rack to room temperature. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.