Gingerbread for Gingerbread House Kit
This recipe adapted from "Martha Stewart Living" (December 1995)
The Martha Stewart Show, December Winter 2005
Yield Makes enough for 5 small house kits
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark-brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsulfured molasses
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in spices and salt. Beat in eggs and molasses.
- Add flour mixture; mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Divide dough into thirds and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes, or using template instructions, if desired. Place dough shapes on ungreased baking sheets; chill until firm, about 15 minutes. Bake 15 minutes, or until gingerbread is firm in the center, but not dark around the edges.
- Click here for our Gingerbread House template and Gingerbread House Kit instructions.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.