This delicious recipe for fettuccine alfredo comes from Eleanora Scarpetta.
Martha Stewart Living Television, November 2000
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 pound Fresh Pasta (http://www.marthastewart.com/262443/fresh-pasta), or best quality fresh or dry fettuccine
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add prosciutto, mushrooms, and parsley. Saute until light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add heavy cream and cheese. When cheese is melted, add egg yolk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Add fettuccine to boiling water and cook until al dente, according to package directions. Drain pasta and transfer to a large serving platter. Pour sauce over fettuccine; sprinkle with mushroom and prosciutto mixture. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.