Sunflower Sugar Cookies
Martha Stewart Living, March 1997
Yield Makes about 16 large cookies
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- Royal Icing Royal Icing (http://www.marthastewart.com/283925/royal-icing)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in vanilla or lemon juice and zest. Wrap dough in plastic, and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. On a floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, and refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes. Remove from refrigerator, and transfer to oven to bake until edges just start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Cover with a thin coat of royal icing, and allow to dry for 24 hours. Using a pastry bag fitted with a coupler and #3 or #4 tips, pipe designs onto cookies. Use a #70 tip to create the “leaves.”
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.