This delicious recipe, which adds such flavor to the lemon-almond meringue tart, is courtesy of Matt Lewis.
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon amaretto liqueur
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together egg whites and sugar until combined.
- Set bowl over (but not touching) simmering water; continue whisking until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture has reached 140 degrees on a instant-read thermometer, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Return bowl to electric mixer and beat on high speed until thick, about 3 minutes. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes more. Add amaretto liqueur and beat until just combined.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.