Homemade Beef Stock
This recipe for homemade beef stock, courtesy of Martha's personal chef Pierre Schaedelin, is an excellent marinade for braised short ribs.
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds raw beef bones with some meat, such as shanks, ribs, and shins
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 head garlic
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bones and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes more.
- Add 10 cups of water and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 1 1/2 hours. Skim surface and strain stock before using.
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.