This recipe was adapted from the December 2002 issue of Martha Stewart Living.
The Martha Stewart Show, September Fall 2008
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 9 red-skin apples (about 3 pounds), such as McIntosh, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup apple cider, plus more as needed
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, plus more as needed
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, plus more as needed
- Honey, as needed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- In a wide, heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients. Cook, stirring frequently and adding more cider as needed to prevent scorching, until apples are broken down, 50 to 60 minutes. Mash large pieces with a spoon; add more honey and spices if desired.
- Remove from heat; discard cinnamon stick. Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with pomegranate seeds. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.