This delicious beignet recipe is courtesy of chef April Bloomfield.
The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2009
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Coarse salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring 1 cup water and butter just to a boil. Whisk in flour and stir with a spatula to blend completely. Transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add cheeses and mix on high speed until well combined. With mixer on low, add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition; season with salt. Transfer batter to refrigerator and let chill for 30 minutes.
- Drop tablespoon-size balls of batter about 1-inch apart onto 12-by-2-inch pieces of parchment paper; refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 3 days. Beignets may also be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Fill a large heavy-bottomed pot 4 inches high with oil. Heat oil until it reaches 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches, carefully place entire piece of parchment into hot oil. Using tongs, carefully remove parchment from oil and discard. Fry beignets until golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.