Birthday Meatloaf "Cake"
The cakes can be prepared up to one day ahead: Reheat at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, then make the frosting.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2006
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks (about 1/2 cup), finely chopped
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 2 small carrots, peeled and finely grated (about 1/2 cup), peels reserved for decorating
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked green peas
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-by-2-inch round cake pans with cooking spray; set aside. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and celery; cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool.
- Add beef, carrot, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, oats, ground mustard, salt, and pepper to bowl with vegetable mixture; mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Gently press into prepared pans. Bake until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; carefully remove with a spatula, and transfer to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Tent with foil.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a small pan. Add reserved carrot peels; cook until tender, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Place 1 meat loaf on platter; spread 1 cup warm mashed potatoes over top. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons peas. Top with remaining meat loaf. Frost top and sides with 3 cups mashed potatoes. Fill piping bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip (such as Ateco No. 825) with remaining mashed potatoes. Pipe borders around cake. Using tip of a 1/4-inch plain round tip (such as Ateco No. 10), punch out circles from carrot peels. Decorate cake with carrot circles and remaining peas. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.