Slow-Poached Eggs with Shrimp and Grits
Southern-style grits take on mouthwatering Asian flavors in this one-of-a-kind recipe from chef David Chang's "Momofuku" cookbook -- serve for a special brunch or equally satisfying dinner dish.
Photo credit: Gabriele Stabile
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- 2 cups white or yellow quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups Bacon Dashi (http://www.marthastewart.com/256918/bacon-dashi)
- 2 tablespoons usukuchi (light soy sauce)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound smoky bacon, cut crosswise into 1-to-1 1/2-inch-long strips
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 Slow-Poached Eggs (http://www.marthastewart.com/255248/slow-poached-eggs)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Place grits in a medium bowl and add 2 cups water. Let grits soak at least 8 hours and up to overnight.
- Drain grits and transfer to a medium saucepan. Add dashi and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes. Add usukuchi, a large pinch of salt, and season with pepper. Continue whisking constantly until thickened, bubbling, and no longer grainy, about 10 minutes. Stir in butter until melted; season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until it shrinks to about half its original size and is crisp and browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet using a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain fat and wipe skillet clean; set aside.
- Place shrimp in a large bowl and add grapeseed oil; season with salt and toss to coat. Heat cast-iron skillet over high heat and add shrimp, working in batches if necessary. Press down on shrimp using the back of a spatula or a smaller pan to sear for 1 to 2 minutes. When shrimp look about halfway cooked, turn and press down on second side. Continue cooking until shrimp have just become opaque and have browned slightly. Remove from pan.
- Divide grits evenly between 4 bowls; top each with a poached egg. Divide shrimp and scallions evenly between bowls and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.