Green Apple Martini
If you don't have a juicer, you can substitute 1/3 cup store-bought unsweetened apple juice for the fresh apple juice in step 2. Repeat this recipe in batches, as needed.
This recipe was also featured on "Mad Hungry with Lucinda Scala Quinn."
Martha Stewart Living, December 2005
Yield Makes two 6-ounce martinis
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 medium green apple, about 8 ounces, peeled (peels reserved)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 ounces best-quality vodka
- Bring sugar, 1 cup water, and 3/4 of the apple peel to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. (Reserve the remaining apple peel for garnish.) Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer syrup to a medium bowl set over an ice bath; let stand, stirring occasionally, until cool. Pour through a fine sieve into another bowl; discard solids.
- Cut apple into chunks; press through an electric juicer into a small bowl. Pour through a fine sieve into another bowl; discard any solids, and set juice aside
- Cut remaining peel into thin, 4-inch-long strips. Tie each strip into a knot; set aside in a bowl of water with lemon juice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add vodka, 2 ounces syrup, and 1/3 cup apple juice; shake. Divide between 2 martini glasses; garnish with apple knots.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.