Crispy Cake Basic Recipe
One batch makes one flowerpot and a dozen 2- to 2 1/2-inch flowers; a dozen 5 1/2-inch boats; two dozen 2 1/2-inch cars; or two hills. Use half the recipe to make 70 bugs (from 1-inch balls).
Martha Stewart Kids, Spring 2005
- 16 cups crisp rice cereal
- 12 cups mini marshmallows
- 10 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Assorted colorful cereal and candies for decorating
- Melt 10 tablespoons unsalted butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Add 12 cups mini marshmallows; stir until melted, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 16 cups (a 13 1/2-ounce box) crisp rice cereal.
- Cars and bugs are shaped by hand. Work quickly while mixture is soft and sticky: Spoon into greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap so it doesn't harden.
- Butter hands, and make shapes one at a time. Boats, flowers, and hills are cut out after the mixture has hardened.
- Spoon the warm mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch pan; pat smooth. Let set, uncovered, 30 minutes to an hour, and then cut out.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.