The Perfect Roast Chicken
This delicious roast chicken recipe is courtesy of Jonathan Waxman and can be found in his cookbook, "A Great American Cook."
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2008
- 1 whole (3 1/2- to 4-pound) chicken, preferably free-range, corn-fed, or naturally raised
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for chicken
- Jonathan Waxman's Mashed Potatoes (http://www.marthastewart.com/257677/mashed-potatoes), for serving
- Sauteed Spinach (http://www.marthastewart.com/256954/sauteed-spinach), for serving
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Remove gizzards and trim any excess fat from chicken. Rinse chicken well and let soak in warm water for 20 minutes; pat dry. Coat the bottom of a heavy-bottomed roasting pan with 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil; set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and rub with olive oil. Transfer chicken to prepared roasting pan. Roast, basting chicken and shaking the bottom of the roasting pan to ensure chicken does not stick, every 5 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees, about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and let stand 10 minutes before carving and serving with potatoes and spinach.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.