This delicious coconut cake recipe is courtesy of Robert Carter from the Peninsula Grill, in Charleston, South Carolina.
Yield Makes two 10-inch round cakes
- Nonstick cooking spray with flour
- 1 pound unsalted butter, preferably European-style
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray two 10-inch round cake pans with cooking spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5 to 6 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until creamy, occasionally scraping down sides of the bowl using a spatula.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, mix together cream, vanilla, and coconut extract. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture, alternating with cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour; beat until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before removing cakes from pans.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.