Candied Lemon Peel
This recipe courtesy of Susannah Dickey.
- 2 1/2 pounds organic lemons, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- Carefully peel lemons; trim excess pith. Slice peel into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Transfer peel to a medium non-reactive saucepan with enough cold water to cover; bring to a boil. Repeat at least twice, until peel is tender. Drain; set aside.
- In the same saucepan set over medium heat, combine 3/4 cup water, corn syrup, and sugar; bring to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves, brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystallization; reduce heat to a simmer. Add lemon peel; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer peel to a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet; let stand for 1 hour. (Reserve syrup for another use.) Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.