This pastry cream is used to make a delicious Neapolitan Easter Pie.
The Martha Stewart Show
Yield Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare an ice bath; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, flour, and sugar; set aside. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine milk, vanilla bean, and salt. Bring just to a boil.
- Using a measuring cup or a ladle, slowly pour about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour mixture back into saucepan, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick 1 to 2 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a medium bowl set over the ice bath. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until cool. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pastry cream. Transfer to refrigerator until cold, at least 1 hour, and up to overnight. Just before using, remove from refrigerator, and whisk to soften slightly.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.