Fish Stew with Clams
This delicious stew is from chef Jose Andres' "Made in Spain" cookbook and is made using his recipe for Allioli.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009
For the Stock
- 1 tablespoon Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 rib celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1/2 carrot, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 (3-pound) black sea bass, filleted, head and bones reserved
For the Suquet
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika)
For the Picada
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sea salt
- 8 manilla clams, scrubbed
- Allioli (http://www.marthastewart.com/256982/allioli)
- Prepare the stock: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add garlic, celery, carrot, and onion and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add fish bones and head and enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and let cook for 25 minutes, skimming the surface as necessary. Strain through a fine mesh strainer; discard solids and set aside.
- Prepare the suquet: Place a grater over a bowl and rub the cut surface of the tomatoes over the grater until all the flesh is grated; discard skins. In a deep pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring, for two minutes. Stir in grated tomato and sugar, if using; continue cooking 2 minutes more. Add saffron and pimenton and cook for one minute.
- Add enough stock to just cover the potatoes. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the picada: Using a mortar and pestle, mash garlic and salt together until a thick paste is formed. Add parsley and one piece of potato from the stew; mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Season fish fillets with salt and cut each in half so you have four equal pieces; add to pot along with clams. Cook until clams begin to open, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in picada and season with salt. Serve immediately with allioli, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.