This recipe for roasted tomatoes can be found in Govind Armstrong's cookbook, "Small Bites Big Nights."
The Martha Stewart Show, September Summer 2007
Yield Makes 24 tomato “petals”
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath. Add tomatoes to boiling water and cook 30 seconds. Drain and immediately transfer to ice-water bath until cool; drain.
- Cut a 1/4-inch piece from the bottom of a tomato so that it will stand upright. Starting at the top of the tomato, cut 4 petal-shaped fillets using a downward motion with a paring knife to remove the flesh from the seeded core; discard core. Repeat process with remaining tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, toss the tomato petals together with the oil, thyme, and basil; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a nonstick baking sheet; roast until caramelized, about 45 minutes. Serve hot or cold. Store in a covered container, refrigerated, up to 1 week, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.