- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- Crumbled blue cheese, (optional)
- Light olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Thinly sliced cheddar cheese, (optional)
- 4 buns
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for buns
- Sliced onion, (optional)
- 4 to 8 slices cooked bacon, (optional)
- Sliced tomatoes, (optional)
- Lettuce, (optional)
- Ketchup, (optional)
- Mustard, (optional)
- Mayonnaise, (optional)
- Relish, (optional)
- Divide sirloin into four equal portions, and form patties, each about 1 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Be careful not to overhandle the meat, which compresses and toughens it. Place a small amount of blue cheese in the center of each patty, if desired. Rub patties lightly with a very small amount of olive oil.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place patties in skillet, and cook for 4 minutes. Turn, and season with salt and pepper. Top with cheese, if desired, cover, and cook 3 minutes more for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, slice open buns, and toast them; spread with butter, if desired. When burgers are done, serve on toasted buns with any combination of the following: onions, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and relish.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.