This garlic recipe from chef Michael Psilakis' "How to Roast a Lamb" cookbook is used to make his Striped Bass Plaki.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups garlic cloves
- 1 fresh bay leaf or 2 dried bay leaves
- 8 to 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- Coarse salt
- Whole black peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix together canola and olive oil; set aside.
- Place garlic cloves in an ovenproof heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch-oven with a lid. Add bay leaf, a scant tablespoon salt, and peppercorns. Add enough of the oil mixture to barely cover.
- Cover pan and transfer to oven. Cook until garlic is pale golden and very tender, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic cloves to a cutting board or the bowl of a small food processor, reserving oil; finely chop or process until pureed. Transfer to a bowl and add just enough reserved oil to cover. Keep refrigerated, up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.