Brown Butter Sauce
This recipe for brown butter sauce comes from "Inspired by Ingredients" by Bill Telepan.
The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2007
Yield Makes enough for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Place vinegar in a large, heatproof bowl.
- Place butter and cream in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk constantly until mixture thickens to consistency of mayonnaise and the milk solids separate out and float to the top, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor and process for 20 seconds to break up solids. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until it becomes a deep brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add mixture to vinegar (it will foam up). Add salt and swirl bowl to combine; set aside.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.