Devil's Food Cake
Satisfy any sweet tooth with this decadent dessert from award-winning pastry chef Alain Roby of the Chicago Hyatt.
On "The Martha Stewart Show," Alain and Martha used a larger version of this recipe to bake a cake that was more than 6 feet tall.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2010
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking pan
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 cups sugar
- 10 large eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 24 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 12 raspberries, for garnish (optional)
- Mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 10-by-3-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together baking soda and boiling water; add melted unsweetened chocolate and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. With the mixer on low, add flour and 6 tablespoons cocoa powder; mix until combined. Slowly add buttermilk; mix until combined. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla; mix until well combined.
- Divide mixture evenly between prepared cake pans. Transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer cake pans to racks and let cool completely in pans.
- Meanwhile, heat heavy cream and semisweet chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium heat until chocolate has melted and mixture is well combined. Let frosting cool until creamy in texture.
- Run a knife around the edges of cake pans and invert cakes onto wire racks. Slice each cooled cake horizontally into three even layers. Set one layer on a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour some of the frosting over the first layer, smoothing with a spatula. Add a second layer and repeat process. Repeat process with remaining layers and frosting; smooth frosting over top and sides. Place remaining 6 tablespoons cocoa powder in a fine-mesh sieve; dust cake evenly with cocoa powder. Let cool completely before serving. Garnish with raspberries, mint, and whipped cream, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.