Tandoori Chicken Legs with Raita
Martha Stewart Living, April 2000
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 to 4 cloves)
- 1/4 cup grated onion (1 small onion)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 chicken legs (drumstick and thigh) skin and excess fat removed (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 4 small red onions cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Raita Raita (http://www.marthastewart.com/284026/raita)
- Place yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, onion, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, salt, pepper, cardamom, coriander, and cloves in a large bowl; combine. Add chicken, and coat with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap; chill 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place onions on a large pan; top with marinated chicken. Roast about 40 minutes, until chicken is dark red, slightly charred, and juices run clear when meat is pierced. Garnish with cilantro; serve with lemon wedges and raita.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.