Shrimp from the Devil Priest
This delicious dinner recipe is courtesy of Mario Batali and can be found in his "Molto Italiano" cookbook.
The Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2007
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Mario Batali's Basic Tomato Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/283393/mario-batalis-basic-tomato-sauce)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 20 large shrimp, heads on, split down the back, and deveined
- 4 slices rustic peasant bread, each 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
- Preheat the broiler. In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Add garlic and jalapenos and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add shrimp, red pepper flakes, tomato sauce, and wine and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until shrimp is just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast bread on baking sheet under the broiler, turning once. Place 1 slice toasted bread in the center of each of 4 plates. Drizzle bread with 1/8 cup oil.
- Place 5 shrimp on each piece of toast, and spoon the sauce over them. Sprinkle with marjoram leaves and bread crumbs, drizzle with remaining 1/8 cup oil, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.