Vanilla French Buttercream
This wonderful vanilla French buttercream should be paired with Butter Lane's Chocolate Cupcakes.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 7 extra-large egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 vanilla beans, halved lengthwise
- In a large heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water, whisk together egg whites and sugar until sugar is melted and mixture reaches 140 degrees on a candy thermometer, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with the whisk attachment; beat on high until stiff peaks form, 12 to 15 minutes. Add cream of tartar and beat for one minute more.
- Reduce speed to medium and add butter, a few pieces at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and scrape vanilla bean seeds into mixture; beat until well combined, about 2 minutes. Transfer to refrigerator; chill for 15 minutes before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.