Spring Onion and Pea Soup with Ramp Crostino
This lovely soup recipe is courtesy of Mario Batali.
The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2009
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 bunches spring onions or scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 2 cups Basic Vegetable Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/256060/basic-vegetable-stock)
- 2 cups fresh shelled peas
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Ramp Crostino (http://www.marthastewart.com/256061/ramp-crostino)
- 12 fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and onion or scallion whites until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add stock, onion or scallion greens, and peas; season with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; immediately reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer until peas are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to the jar of a blender or bowl of a food processor; carefully blend until pureed. Strain soup through a fine mesh sieve set over saucepan; season with salt and pepper. Divide soup evenly between 4 bowls. Place 1 crostino in each bowl and garnish with mint; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.