This delicious Japanese eggplant recipe is courtesy of chef Matt Hoyle from restaurant Nobu 57.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2007
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 pounds moro miso (red barley miso)
- 2 Japanese eggplants (12 inches each), trimmed
- Grapeseed oil, for frying
- 4 limes
- 2 shiso leaves, chopped
- Place olive oil and garlic in a medium saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until garlic is evenly browned. Remove from heat and transfer garlic to a large bowl. Add moro miso and whisk until combined; set aside.
- Cut eggplants on the bias, starting at one end, and alternating the direction of the bias with each cut, forming triangular shapes. Cut each triangular piece in half again.
- Add enough grapeseed oil to a large skillet to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil over medium-high heat and add eggplant. Fry eggplant until outside is crispy and center is soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Squeeze limes over eggplant and transfer to a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons miso mixture and shiso leaves, keeping any remaining miso mixture in an airtight container, refrigerated up to 3 days. Toss to combine. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.