Martha Stewart Living, Volume 20 June/July 1994
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Place ricotta in a cheesecloth-lined sieve set over a bowl. Place in refrigerator, and drain overnight.
- Combine milk and nutmeg in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream at medium-high speed until very thick and pale yellow, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the milk to a simmer.
- Add half of the warm milk to egg-yolk mixture; whisk until blended. Return new mixture to saucepan with remaining milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Have ready an ice-water bath. Remove saucepan from heat, and immediately stir in cream. Pass mixture through a sieve set over a medium bowl. Place bowl in ice-water bath, and chill. Whisk in drained ricotta until thoroughly blended.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Store in an airtight container.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.