White Chocolate Sherbet
Pastry chef Gale Gand shares this recipe for white chocolate sherbet from her cookbook "Chocolate and Vanilla."
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2006
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, or 1 tablespoon vanilla-bean paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Strawberry Mash (http://www.marthastewart.com/255512/strawberry-mash), for serving (optional)
- Prepare a large ice-water bath; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk, 2/3 cup water, vanilla bean, and sugar almost to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in white chocolate until melted. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl set over the ice-water bath. Stir occasionally until mixture has chilled, about 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze sherbet according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a covered container and freeze at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. Let sherbet soften slightly at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving if it seems too hard. Serve topped with strawberry mash, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.