Momma Reiner's Homemade Marshmallow Cream
This recipe for homemade marshmallow cream is from Kimberly Rainer of Momma Reiner's Fudge.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Fall 2007
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until light and frothy. With the mixer running, slowly pour in 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, corn syrup, and remaining 2/3 cup sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until boiling. Cook, stirring, until mixture reaches the firm-ball stage, about 242 to 248 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 6 minutes. Immediately remove from heat.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add hot syrup to egg-white mixture. Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for 5 minutes. Add vanilla and continue to beat until mixture looks like marshmallow cream, about 1 minute more.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.