Spelt Pasta Dough
These recipes have been adapted from "Cooking by Hand" by Paul Bertolli.
- 5 ounces whole spelt berries, finely ground
- 5 ounces spelt flour, plus more for work surface
- 4 ounces eggs (2 whole large eggs)
- 1/2 ounce cool water
- Combine the flours in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Add the eggs to the well. Using a fork, stir to combine. Drizzle the water over the mixture, and stir again until it begins to form a shaggy mass.
- With your stronger hand, reach into the bowl and alternately squeeze and push down on the dough with your palm. Press any loose bits of flour into the mass. When the dough feels tacky and fully incorporated, transfer it to a clean, lightly floured work surface. Knead until it loses its surface moisture, is a uniform color, and springs back when depressed, 4 to 5 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap, and let stand for at least 1 hour before rolling.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.