The Martha Stewart Show, April 2006
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 ounces egg matzo
- 1 cup cottage cheese, preferably 4 percent
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices smoked salmon (about 1/4 pound), for garnish
- Horseradish Cream (http://www.marthastewart.com/255081/horseradish-cream)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet set over medium-high heat. Add onions, and saute until translucent; set aside. Place matzo in a food processor, and process until coarsely ground; you should have 1 1/2 cups crumbs, or meal. Set aside. Place cottage cheese in the clean bowl of the food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup matzo crumbs, cottage cheese, sauteed onions, egg, and 2 tablespoons snipped chives; season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place remaining 1 cup ground matzo in a shallow dish. Evenly divide chilled mixture into quarters, and using your hands, flatten each part into a 4-inch round. Dredge in ground matzo, and set aside on a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook latkes, turning once, until browned on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Roll salmon slices into rosettes. Serve latkes with a dollop of horseradish cream and a salmon rosette; garnish with chives.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.