Yield Makes about 3/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup homemade or low sodium canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup truffle juice
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, stems and leaves separated and reserved separately
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Working in batches, if necessary so as not to crowd the pan, brown the meat, about 3 minutes per side.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the peppercorns and the shallots. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Add the red wine, and cook, stirring up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon until the liquid has almost evaporated. Add the beef stock, truffle juice, and parsley stems. Bring to a boil, and cook until reduced by one-half. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.