New Orleans-Style Shrimp and Rice
Martha Stewart Living, March Spring 2004
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 green bell peppers, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 6 canned whole plum tomatoes (from one 28-ounce can), crushed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco, or to taste
- 1 pound large shrimp (21 to 30), peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked white rice, for serving
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add flour, and stir until light brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add bell peppers, onion, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, parsley, spices, salt, and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are soft and mixture is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in shrimp, and cook until pink and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle shrimp with parsley, and serve over rice.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.