Pupusas de Queso
For a tasty snack, try these corn cakes from Reina Soler (Red Hook Food Vendors).
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
Yield Makes about 15 pupusas
- 1 pound masa
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Curtido (http://www.marthastewart.com/254855/curtido), for serving
- Salsa de Tomate (http://www.marthastewart.com/254856/salsa-de-tomate), for serving
- In a large bowl, mix together masa and salt. Add water, a little bit at a time, until a soft, pliable, nonsticky dough is formed.
- Using damp hands, form dough into 2 1/2-inch balls. Flatten each ball into a 4-inch patty and place 1/4 cup cheese in the center of each. Fold sides of patties over cheese to enclose and reshape into a ball. Flatten each ball into another 4-inch patty.
- Preheat a griddle and lightly coat with oil. Place patties on skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately with curtido and salsa.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.