Chopped Salad with Feta Cheese
The ingredients for this colorful salad can be prepared in advance and stored in separate containers, leaving only the arrangement for the last minute.
Martha Stewart Living, April/May 1992
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce or 1 head Boston lettuce, shredded
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 yellow and 1 red pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 3 beets, cooked, peeled, and cut into matchstick-size pieces (optional)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 radishes, sliced paper thin
- 1 head radicchio, shredded
- 2 heads Belgian endive, sliced
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Watercress or mache leaves, for garnish
- Scatter shredded lettuce on a serving platter. Arrange vegetables, radicchio, endive, and cheese in separate rows on top of lettuce.
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Drizzle dressing over salad, sprinkle with parsley and watercress or mache leaves, add more pepper, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.