Ed's Pickle Mix
Serve Ed McFarland's pickle mix alongside his recipe for lobster rolls for the perfect summer meal.
The Martha Stewart Show
Yield Makes enough for 4 lobster rolls
- 6 to 8 Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 habernero peppers
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 4 whole allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Place cucumbers in a large bowl. Cut 1 pepper in half and place in the bowl along with the 3 remaining peppers, pickling salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 cups water. Toss to combine; cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Drain cucumber mixture; rinse under cold water. In another large bowl, mix together remaining 1/2 cup sugar, vinegar, peppercorns, celery seeds, coriander, allspice, and mustard seeds. Add cucumbers and peppers; toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature at least 3 hours before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.