Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups grated aged cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pulse butter, cheddar, flour, salt, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add heavy cream; pulse until just combined.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces; shape into rectangles. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, roll out each rectangle on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4-inch thickness, and cut into 1-inch squares. Transfer to a baking sheet leaving at least 1/4 inch between each. Refrigerate until chilled and firm, about 20 minutes. Bake until pale golden, 15 to 17 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.