- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced crosswise and rinsed well
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Bones and head of 1 salmon or whitefish
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley
- 1/4 bunch fresh tarragon
- 1/4 bunch fresh chives
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over low heat. Cook leeks, celery, and shallot until soft, about 15 minutes. Add peppercorns, bay leaf, and fish bones and head. Cover with water by 1 inch. Gently simmer (do not boil) for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add herbs, and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined sieve; discard solids.
Fish stock can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 6 months. Thaw before using.