For the Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine unsweetened coconut flakes, finely ground in a food processor
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, plus 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
For One Batch of the Seven-Minute Frosting (makes about 4 cups; enough for 12 cupcakes)
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- Garnish: large unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cupcakes: Line 2 standard muffin tins with baking cups. Whisk together flour, ground coconut flakes, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with coconut milk, beginning and ending with flour, beating well after each addition.
- Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl of a mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form (do not overmix). Working in 3 batches, gently fold egg whites into cupcake batter.
- Divide batter evenly among baking cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake until cupcakes are pale golden and centers spring back when touched, 18 to 2o minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks.
- Make the first batch of seven-minute frosting: Heat 3/4 cup sugar, the water, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Raise heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Cook until syrup reaches 230 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with a mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. With machine running, add remaining tablespoon sugar.
- Once syrup is ready, immediately remove from heat. With mixer on medium-low speed, pour syrup down side of bowl into egg-white mixture. Raise speed to medium-high, and beat until mixture is completely cool and stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Immediately frost half of the cupcakes, each with 1/3 cup frosting, and garnish with 1 or 2 teaspoons large coconut flakes. Prepare another batch of frosting, and frost remaining cupcakes.
Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days. Frosted cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 day.