Stove-Top Pasta and Cheese
Photography: Ryan Liebe
Martha Stewart Living
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 to 3 slices rustic bread, such as ciabatta, trimmed of crusts and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 ounce Parmesan, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce sharp cheddar, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pulse bread in a food processor until coarsely ground (you should have 1 cup). Toast breadcrumbs in a large skillet over medium heat, tossing, until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of generously salted water until al dente, according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, both cheeses, cream, and mustard in a bowl.
- Return pasta to pot and add egg mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring, until sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes. Add reserved pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, until pasta is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with breadcrumbs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.