Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Galettes
To make lavender sugar, pulse 2 teaspoons chopped fresh lavender buds with 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor.
Photography: Jennifer Causey
Martha Stewart Living
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours
Yield Makes 8
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen puff pastry, preferably all-butter, thawed
- 8 ounces rhubarb, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick (1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced 1/4 inch thick (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup lavender sugar (see note, above) or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Coarse sanding sugar
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 8 squares, about 5 inches each; arrange on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Stir together rhubarb, strawberries, lavender sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Arrange 1/3 cup mixture in center of each pastry square. Fold edges in; crimp to form rounds. Brush edges with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Freeze until firm, 20 minutes.
- Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until golden brown and fruit is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve with whipped cream.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.