Beet-Pickled Quail Eggs
Photography: Jennifer Causey
Martha Stewart Living
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 4 to 5 days
- Serves 8
- 1 small red beet, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 24 quail eggs (available at dartagnan.com)
- Hot sauce, celery leaves, and flaky sea salt, for serving
- Bring beet, 1 cup water, vinegar, sugar, coarse salt, juniper berries, and bay leaf to a boil in a small pot, stirring until sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool completely. Pass through a fine sieve; discard solids.
- Cover eggs with 1 inch of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat, cover, and let sit 3 minutes. Transfer to an ice-water bath until chilled. Drain and peel eggs.
- Place eggs in a container. Top with beet vinegar. Cover; chill 4 to 5 days. Slice in half and serve with accompaniments.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.