Alexis's Chopped Vegetable Salad
Martha Stewart's Cooking School
- Coarse salt
- 2 ears corn
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound wax beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined, and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Set aside. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add corn and sugar. Blanch until tender about 6 minutes. Remove from water and plunge immediately into ice bath. When the corn is thoroughly cool, remove from ice bath. Using a large knife, remove kernels from cobs. Transfer to a large bowl. Add beans to boiling water. Blanch until tender about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, remove from water and plunge immediately into ice bath. When beans are thoroughly cooled, transfer to a colander to drain.
- Add wax and green beans, tomatoes, red and yellow pepper, onion, cucumber, cilantro, and jalapeno to corn. Stir to combine. Add olive oil, vinegar, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.